This course will provide learners with the underlying theory and practical skills required to secure networks and to send data safely and securely over network communications (including securing the most common Internet services).
This course provides a look at the technologies employed to secure a network. It is designed to provide learners with knowledge of the fundamental principles and techniques employed in securing information and networks. The course will allow learners to assess the security risks inherent in computer networks and the technologies that can be employed to counter such risks. It covers cryptographic algorithms from a mathematical point of view, including practical examples of breaking codes.
Once the learners have knowledge of the different types of algorithm, cryptographic protocols are introduced for accomplishing a varied set of tasks, including authentication, secure message exchange, digital signatures, etc. Other aspects of network security are then dealt with, such as access control devices and firewalls, VPN, NAT, malware, vulnerability assessment, Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), etc.
Hardware and Software Requirements
Learners need access to a number of networked computers with peripheral devices, such as printers and scanners, plus Internet access, routers, and firewalls. Wireless devices are also required that that can be added to this network or used to create a standalone wireless network.
Software: Learners will have access network/server software available plus relevant security software.
The Learner will:
- Understand the most common types of cryptographic algorithm
- Understand the Public-key Infrastructure
- Understand security protocols for protecting data on networks
- Be able to digitally sign emails and files
- Understand Vulnerability Assessments and the weakness of using passwords for authentication
- Be able to perform simple vulnerability assessments and password audits
- Be able to configure simple firewall architectures
- Understand Virtual Private Networks
- Be able to deploy wireless security
- Cryptography Fundamentals
- Web Security
- Email Security
- Data Protection
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Access Control
- Remote Access
- Wireless Security