Level 4 Diploma in Computing (L4DC)
The NCC Education Level 4 Diploma in Computing (L4DC) is an Ofqual regulated qualification. The qualification makes up the first year of the NCC Education degree journey. The qualification is equivalent to the first year of an IT degree in the UK university system.
Students will be given the opportunity to develop essential thinking and study skills, not only within the computing domain, but also within the context of business through a balance of academic and vocational subjects. The qualification will allow them to understand and enter the computing profession with the necessary knowledge expected within the industry and the ability to apply the skills to a range of IT-related functions.
On successful completion of the qualification students will be able to embark on NCC Education’s Level 5 Diploma in Computing (L5DC), which is equivalent to the second year of a UK Bachelor’s degree, transfer to a university or pursue a career in the IT industry.
For entry onto the NCC Education L4DC qualification students must have at least one of the following:
- NCC Education Level 3 International Foundation Diploma for Higher Education Studies
- NCC Education Level 3 Diploma in Computing
- 1 GCE ‘A’ Level pass
Students must also meet the English language entry requirements of:
- IELTS min score of 5.5 or above
- GCE ‘O’ Level English C6
Mature applicants will be considered for entry if they are able to demonstrate over 2 years of relevant work experience and have a GCE ‘O’ Level / IGCSE English and Maths or equivalent.
Students must study the following eight core units:
- Skills for Computing – This module provides essential skills required by computing students. The skills taught include study, presentation, report-writing and data handling skills. It will prepare students for successful outcomes in their studies and provide them with skills that can be applied in the workplace.
- Computer Networks – This module helps students to develop a good understanding of basic theory and useful practical skills of networking and communication that are vital in today’s connected world.
- Computer Systems – This module addresses the development of practical skills in the configuration, maintenance, fault finding and trouble-shooting of modern computer systems and develops knowledge of computer architecture.
- Designing and Developing a Website – This module provides students with the practical skills required in website design such as understanding of mark-up languages, style sheets, design techniques and testing.
- Databases – This module provides students with thorough training in practical techniques for the design and development of database systems and develops a sound understanding of the underpinning theory.
- Designing and Developing Object-Oriented Computer Programmes – This module provides students with a thorough grounding in programming methods, and a detailed knowledge of developing programs using C#.
- Software Development Techniques – This module addresses the wider issues of software development together with a language-independent survey of useful data structures and algorithms.
- Office Solutions Development – This module teaches students to develop practical skills in the automation of common office applications to support a variety of tasks.
Assessments for all units are offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. All units are assessed by assignments and/or examinations.
Past papers and sample assessments:
Skills for Computing
Designing and Developing a Website
Designing and Developing Object-Oriented Computer Programs
Software Development Techniques
Office Solutions Development
The qualification allows students entry to either the NCC Education Level 5 Diploma in Computing, (which is equivalent to the second year of a UK Bachelor’s degree), or the second year of many UK university degree courses, or enables you to pursue a career in the IT industry.
Progression routes can be found on our University Progression page. [LINK NEEDED]
To start studying the NCC Education Level 4 Diploma in Computing:
All you need to do is search for a centre near you and contact them directly or drop us an email to email@example.com and we can point you in the right direction.
To start providing the NCC Education Level 4 Diploma in Computing to your students:
Fill out our contact form below and a member of our Regional Business Development Team will be in touch.